Tank Update (40g is up and running!)

Wow, so I got the 40g up and running tonight!  I planned on it, I planned everything I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it, but that doesn’t mean that I actually expected to ever finish, let alone for everything to work!  It took some tweaking, and I’m sure it’ll take some continued tweaking, but it’s working thus far so I’m pretty pumped.  I still need to work on the cover a bit, but tomorrow I’ll test the water (I’ve been conditioning it), get my phosphate reactor up and going, and if all looks good, I’ll toss a chromis in there.

Tank Update (20g long sump, other assorted stuff)

Today R&R got back from cali and picked up my stand and my 20g long that I’ll be using for my sump.  I’m waiting on a friend to drop off my stand, but while I’m doing that, I figured I’d show you the progress that was made tonight.

I got some grid cut for the bottom of my display tank and got that in.  I’m doing that because I prefer the idea of the weight of the pointy edges of the rock being distributed over a wider area than a sharp edge.  I also got the return portion of my sump setup (1/4″ arylic cut, bubble trap made, you’ll see it in the pics).  My girlfriend got the light put together, and I threw the powerheads and return fans into the display tank as well.  I got the return pump, as well as the two pumps for my reactors unboxed and ready, in the return area.  I got my timers setup and ready (one for the ‘fuge light, and one for the display light).

If you guys haven’t yet, you NEED to go check out Reptiles-n-Reefs (R&R) down off of stephanie and sunset in Henderson.  The folks there area amazing!

Tank Update (plumbing, plumbing, and more plumbing)

Tonight I got as much of the plumbing completed as I could, I don’t think there’s much more that I can do until my stand comes in.  I have the drains plumbed and sealed, and the returns plumbed and sealed.  I know it’s not what most would consider “standard plumbing” for a tank, but you’ve got to try new things every now and then.

Not having the stand is killing me!  I’m so pumped to get that part done.

I also figured I’d start the rack curing, so I put as much of the rock as I could fit into a 5 gallon pale, and dumped in some Dr. Tim’s.  I probably fit about 30 lbs in there, which isn’t terrible, and at least gets it started.

Last night I also got a ‘lid’ made for the tank so my jumpers can’t escape.  I’m curious to see if it will cut out too much light, and if it does, I’ll make another cover out of acrylic.

Tank Update (holes drilled, back painted, skimmer box cut)

So tonight, I.. well I did the above.  I decided to pick up a 3rd 3/4″ slip/slip bulkhead for a drain.  I SHOULD have just used 1 1/4″ drains, but I didn’t do the calculations initially.. You live and you learn.  Either way I got all 3 drain holes drilled tonight, and I cut the back off of my skimmer overflow box so it could fit over the bulkheads.  I also got the back of the tank masked and painted black.  I think it’s starting to look pretty good!  I had to modify the skimmer box a liiiittle bit more than I wanted to, but either way, it’ll work and I’m pleased with it. Either way, check out the sexy goodness!  Next week my stand should come in, and when it does, I’ll be able to get that assembled, and get the ‘fuge built/installed, and get water in the tank!  I’m so psyched!

Tank Update (nothing new, just some growth)

Nothing really new with the 10g tank.  I’ve been trying to keep my hands out of it and keep the water nice and clean.  I cleaned the tank today and did a water change.  The cyano has also finally gone away and things have really cleaned up.  I added a couple of new red legged hermit crabs the other day and a few hermit shells.  Besides that, my zoa’s are growing quite a bit, the green star polyps seem pretty happy, the blueberry clove/glove/whatever is nice and full, and the mushrooms are really kicking some butt (the green striped mushroom has sprouted two more little mushrooms that are growing pretty quickly).

Anyways, here’s some new pics!

Tank Update (40g Tank News)

It’s been a little while since I’ve posted an update on my 10gal tank, and that’s simply because I haven’t changed anything about it.  The cyano has gone away thankfully, and things are back to normal.  The clownies are doing great, the zoa’s are growing, and the mushrooms are both kicking some butt!  I had to re-glue the green star polyps to the rock, but that’s not a big deal, and I finally took the red mushroom out and glued it to a larger rock since it’s bonded with a smaller piece of coral.

The REAL news however is that I picked up a 40gal tank, and have been collecting parts for it!  Tonight’s progress includes drilling the two holes for the sump return, getting the two 3/4″ thread/thread bulkheads in place, getting two 3/4″ MPT to slip fittings setup with about 2.5″ of 3/4″ schedule 40 PVC, and then used some 1″ ID vinyl clear tubing to connect them to a 3/4″ T slip fitting.  I clamped it all together with some hose clamps, and that’s about where I left it tonight.  I made a video outlining how to cut the holes in the glass, and will get that uploaded once I’m done editing it.

As a note, I got ALL of the stuff for this aquarium at reptiles-n-reefs in Henderson, and some random pieces at home depot/lowes.  GREAT people there who are always willing to help!

More updates to come as stuff arrives!