Alright, so I’ve recently purchase a TON of parts to get this car ready to work for me a as a daily. Here is the scope of work (SOW) for the next big run of parts.
- Install new bolt on drive shaft
- Drive to Jonny’s
- Pull drive shaft and install new carrier bearing
- Install missing tranny bolts
- Install new tranny mount
- Install trunk mount battery box
- Replace leaky fuel line
- Drive to exhaust shop and have them build me a custom exhaust
- Mount and balance wheels/tires
I think this will be a Friday/Saturday project. If I drop the car off early Saturday morning at the exhaust shop, they should be done with it by Saturday afternoon.
The next big SOW will probably be the following day, or weekend, and will include:
- Pull off old wheels/tires
- Pull off shocks/springs
- Pull off RUCAs/Tie Rods/Torsion Rods/TC Rods
- Install new RUCAs/Tie Rods/Torsion Rods/TC Rods
- Install new coilovers
- Install new wheels
- Check fitment
- Adjust height/roll fenders/etc
I think once I complete all of this stuff, the car will make a GREAT daily. I’ll still have to do some little things like new tint (as I’ve almost got all the old stuff removed), new seats, new steering wheel, new carpet, switch panel, and new stereo system (this is a daily, deal with it). Once I finish that stuff, it should be good to go for a while until I KA-T it.
Sooo today Laura and I started stripping the window tint off. We managed to get the drivers and passenger side door windows clean from the old purple tint. Stripping old tint off is the worst.
Once we finished that, I fixed the gas leak I found the other day. I thought that it was missing a hose clamp, but it turns out the hose was just old and cracked. I pulled it off and got some new fuel line.
It idles and runs a bit better, though the engine still races a bit at idle. I’ll get it figured out.
Once I get the tint off the windows, I’ll take some more pictures.
Soooo I’ve picked up another 240. This will be my third. A 1989 Nissan 240sx Coupe, two-tone blue/gray. According to the previous seller, it’s got a new motor and tans. It’s difficult to verify that of course, but it does run quite well. The previous owner dropped the ka24de in, and then it sat for 2 years. I fear there’s probably a bunch of gunk in the injectors after that, but oh well.. I’ll deal with it.
We (Jonny, Laura, and I), went and picked it up last night. I had to go during the day and get a new wheel for it as it essentially had 4 flat tires. two of which couldn’t hold air at all. I got one new tire, and with the donut on, we drove it home. On the way home we discovered that it was pretty much out of gas, and the steering column wasn’t really bolted in at all. There was also quite a shake in the drive-line somewhere. I believe that it either isn’t tightened down properly, or they put it back on improperly. I’ll get it figured out. It also wouldn’t idle quite right, the flip-ups didn’t go up, and the blinkers didn’t work.
Today we (Laura and I), got the passenger seat bolted in (as it was completely unbolted), got the blinkers working, got the steering column bolted back up, and discovered a fuel leak due to a missing hose clamp (probably the cause of the crappy idle, but maybe not). We also spent a few minutes, and scraped off the ‘for sale’ crap from the front and rear windows.
I will say that I’m pretty impressed how decent the interior is. The dash is thrashed, but the seats aren’t bad (compared to other 240′s this age), the carpet is pretty good, console is decent, and everything is electric and works (I’d prefer manual and no sunroof, but it is what it is).